Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Can I move here yet?

I don't know if I would be able to just pick up and move here (quite yet) but after spending the morning and afternoon taking the city, I have already fallen in love.  Wayyy different the United States but different is good.  Different is culture and boy did we take in the culture today.  Our morning began with a mental reminder to not open my mouth during the shower and it didn't help that I was sooo thirsty.  We met some of the girls down at breakfast in the hotel which consisted of hard boiled eggs, bread and some banana/strawberry/watermelon juice that hit the spot with my thirst.  I think we plan on eating with the girls most meals because we get all the food they don't eat so its a win win...no food gets wasted.  We got to meet Martha who is a staff leader with Cru at La Universidad de Guayaquil and she shared her passion for the ministry there and her extreme gratitude towards us being here.  First stop on the tour was Iguana Park which I was thinking there might be a few iguanas here and there just lounging around in the trees but noooo, they were everywhere! Some were in the trees, some were crawling around, some were just sun bathing on the walkways and for the most part they all seemed quite tame.  It literally seemed like we were at the zoo.  The word on the street is that come night time the park becomes filled with cats so I am not sure if they are were(cat)wolf iguanas or what but it seems legit.  We then walked some more to a museum which if you read Jenna's blog at http://jennareallyspeaking.blogspot.com/ she will fill you in on our wonderful (or not so wonderful) time there.  It was then lunchtime which brought us to the river boardwalk which seemed to be a real touristy location except we were still the only standouts.  We found a McDonalds which conveniently was next to the rest of the food selections.  Choosing food was an easy decision as I quickly put McDonald's in the rear view mirror and walked towards the vendor that was slow cooking what looked like chicken on a rod.  Sketchy but hey...YOLO.  I ordered the "shawarma y patacon" and of course "una botella de agua" from this stand known as "3P" or as I call it "tres pey."  The shawarma ended up being that chicken looking food (google it, it looks pretty cool) and the patacones were fried plantains which both were really good...and as I type, I feel parasite free so fingers crossed.  We didn't make friends with the security as we would instantly begin climbing on all the cool trees, rocks and sculptures so after a few times we had an officer following behind us.  The boardwalk turned in to an awesome and exotic garden pathway.  We saw a cute little stray kitten, some way too friendly ducks and a bunch of little school kids who just stared at us.  We reached the mountains of Guayaquil which are consumed with many houses and small shops.  After climbing up 100 steps we decided to retire and return down to sea level.  But some of us plan on returning for a run to conquer the 450+ steps to the top.  Finally we finished our tour at the grocery store to get our much anticipated purified agua!!!!! We all got like 5 liter jugs to store up for the next few days and when I got back to our room, I punched the goat and the rest was history.  That water tasted sooooo good.  Alright I am being summoned down to the lobby to depart for the partido del futbol!  I was definitely post on that upon return!

No comments:

Post a Comment