Tuesday, June 12, 2012

ECUADOR!! FINALLY!!

After a very rough 5:30 AM awakening, we began our embark to el aeropuerto (airport).  The shuttle bus in and of itself was an experience as our driver treated us all to a "cash cab" experience which concluded with a karaoke sing along of Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger."  With it being my first time traveling internationally, I expected O'Hare to be a madhouse but luckily we were able to check-in and get through security with ease....maybe because it was 6:30 in the morning.  With our flight not being until 9:45, I had some good time to use for calling my family which made me start missing them already.  Boarded the flight and it went smoothly filled with some nice bonding time between CJ, Ann, Jenna and I :) I love my team! We had a layover in El Salvador which I can't describe in words how awesome it was flying over the Pacific Ocean onto a runway surrounded by volcanoes and mountains.  The hour wait wouldn't have been so bad if the airport had better air flow or air conditioning but I guess I've gotta get used to this humid weather since it will be my home for the next 5 weeks.  The flight into Guayaquil was what we had all been waiting for.  The sun sets at 6 PM every night there so when we were flying in around 6:30, we got to see the whole city lit up.  The wheels struck the landing strip and we were finally at our destination: Guayaquil, Ecuador.  Immediate excitement was quickly followed with worried thoughts of lost luggage or trouble with customs.  A not so friendly Ecuadorian was in charge of stamping my passport.  I greeted him with a friendly "Hola, como estas?" that was returned with a glare and silence.  So from that point, I really had no idea what to expect.  My bag was of course one of the last ones through which had me sweating it out for a while but it all finished with a good conclusion as I was given a green light pass through customs and could proceed to the exit.  Travel could've ended up ten times worse than it did so I just have to praise God for getting me and our whole team here safely and with ease.  I am exhausted after a full day of travel but stay posted for updates that will most likely include stories about the sketchy food and the city as we'll spend the next few days acquainting ourselves to Guayaquil and our mission. Adios amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment